[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”4.9.3″ _module_preset=”default” custom_padding=”3px|||||”][et_pb_row _builder_version=”4.9.3″ _module_preset=”default” hover_enabled=”0″ width=”100%” sticky_enabled=”0″ custom_padding=”4px|||||”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”4.9.3″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.9.3″ _module_preset=”default”]
Why are wipe transitions used?
At first, hand, check out the Star Wars movie full of attention-catching wipe transitions. The wipe transition scene can be defined when one shot travels from one side to another while replacing the previous shot. Another instance of this transition can be seen in the low-budget short film ‘Thicker than Water’ by Laurel and Hardy. Lastly, the earliest example can be checked in Mary Jane’s Mishap film by George Albert Smith. All in all, you can apply wipe transitions in the up, down, left, and right direction.
We shall discuss its types and a high-end wipetransition maker compatible with different devices in the following sections.
Part 1: What are wipe transition and their types?
As already discussed above, a wipe is a form of transition used to replace one shot with another. If you check its presentation, it generally travels from one side of the frame to another side.
These wipe transitions get further categorized into various forms that we’ll discuss below.
- Barn Door Wipe: It starts from the opposite corner of the screen towards its center or vice-versa. The name, including the word ‘door,’ generally refers to the pair of doors closing or opening.
- Star Wipe: This transition lets the user feel extra special or in addition to the value. You can define the form can by a shrinking or growing star, the reference of which you can check in the Guiding Light movie.
- Heart Wipe: As the name suggests, it is a shrinking or growing star to make the viewer inclined more towards friendship or love. It is widely valuable for graduation and wedding videos.
- Iris Slow: It is a shrinking or growing circle widely used in animation movies. It is mainly centric on a focal point or used as a ‘parting shot’ joke. Sometimes, the optional graphic of rips is used as an overlay to achieve a particular effect.
- Clock Wipe: It is more like sweeping hands of the clock that runs a radius around the center point to showcase the subsequent shots. This transition is generally representing a passage of time from one image to another.
- Invisible Wipe: It is the most common application of wipe transitions. It is useful when the camera follows a person to another room by tracking parallel and the actor. To make an invisible cut, it is further helpful in quick camera pans of action sequences.
- Matrix Wipe: It is a pattern-specific transition applicable between two or more images. You can see various matrix wipe transition examples in the form of stars and grid etc.
- Masking Wipe transitions: As the name suggests, these transitions usually require a foreground wipe to mask upon. All in all, it requires at least three clips containing one clip for the foreground itself. So, you can call it an extra layer of masking as well.
You can find almost every wipe transition in this Star Wars YouTube video.
Part 2: Wipe Transition Maker for Windows/Online/Smartphone
After studying the wipe transitions into a bit of detail, it’s time to learn about the makers of such transitions. Now that you are aware of the wipe transition example like Star Wars and Mary Jane’s Mishap, ready to create it independently? Yes, here are three tools that can help you make excellent wipe transitions at ease.
DaVinci Resolve is an all-rounder application for video editing, color correction, audio post-production, and so on. It further consists of various inbuilt transition packs in the Effects Library worth considering. For reference, we’d like to count you different transition effects in DaVinci Resolve 16, namely the Additive Dissolve, Blur Dissolve, Cross Dissolve, Dip to Color Dissolve, Non-Additive Dissolve, Smooth Cut, Arrow Iris, Cross Iris, Diamond Iris, etc.
Key Features of DaVinci Resolve
- Professional 8K editing support
- Color Correction
- Cut Page Editing
- Fusion Visual Effects
- Fairlight Audio Post-production
Clipchamp is another great video maker that includes a converter, webcam recorder, and compressor to create amazing daily videos. It consists of inbuilt video templates, a stock library, and other advanced video technologies responsible for a fast and flexible video experience. You can easily add wipetransitions and dissolve transitions between images and videos using the Clipchamp Create option. Furthermore, you’re only required to drag and drop a particular change into the timeline editor, which is a quick task to do.
Key Features of Clipchamp
- Inbuilt stock library
- Custom video templates
- Online video editing presence
- Speed Control
- Exclusive Facebook Ad Maker
It is a transition-specific video editor with the involvement of special effects. It contains a list of video transition effects, including the wipe transitions that help make your project stand better, among others. Other classic changes include Crossfade, Bounce Effect, Shake, Spin, Fly Up, Circle In, and Zoom out for combining different scenes. It’s an ideal option if you’re looking for a tool that can quickly help you add music to the videos and images. VMix app is available both free and Pro version, where you can unlock various premium features in the professional version.
Key Features of VMix
- Professional movie maker for YouTube and Tik Tok
- Transition-specific with 100+ special effects
- Blur background editor
- Professional vlog video effects
- 4K Export support
So, this was all about the different aspects of wipe transitions. Hopefully, you must have set your mind right by now on the significance of using wipe transitions to differentiate scenes or shots in movies. For professionalism, you must check out each aspect of such transitions and then go for adding one according to their respective rules of application.